For the legislative and political week September 21-25
Welcome to the September 21 issue of the NFIB California Main Street Minute from your small-business-advocacy team in Sacramento.
- Fox News will interview State Director John Kabateck this morning about Proposition 20, which, among other things, “authorizes felony charges for specified theft crimes currently chargeable only as misdemeanors, including some theft crimes where the value is between $250 and $950,” according to the state’s Official Voter Information Guide. NFIB is supporting the passage of Prop. 20.
- NFIB’s September 17 news release slamming Gov. Gavin Newsom for signing Senate Bill 1383 into law received wide coverage, including hits in the Sacramento Business Journal, bizwomen, Lassen County Times, and Fox&Hounds.
- On September 18, Kabateck spent 6½ minutes on KFI Radio’s John and Ken Show explaining SB 1383. KFI is the most widely listened to station in the Los Angeles DMA and John and Ken average 741,000 weekly listeners. His interview begins at the 1:06:42 mark.
- SB 1383 extends job-protected leave to businesses with five or more employees and would allow workers to take time off work to care for a broader set of relatives who are ill, including siblings, grandparents, and grandchildren. The bill does not require employers to pay workers while they are on leave, but rather to hold their jobs until they return, for up to 12 work weeks during a 12-month period.
- Is was a big media week for Kabateck on more than SB 1383. He joined Edwin Lombard, president and CEO of the Black Chamber of Commerce, on KFI-AM 640 in Los Angeles to discuss Proposition 15; he provided Los Angeles Times reporter Melody Gutierrez with background information on Assembly Bill 3216, a retention and rehiring measure during states of emergency; and he spoke with both the Northern California Record and Southern California Record on bills giving small-business owners tax breaks.
- Governor Newsom has until September 30 to act on bills sent to him.
- Endorsement update: Leading off the week of NFIB endorsement news releases will be Sen. Ling Ling Chang and Assembly members Frank Bigelow and Randy Voepel. All endorsement releases can be found at www.nfib.com/california.
- Next webinar to be announced. All past ones can be listened to here.
- Next member survey in the works.
NFIB California Main Street Minutes are published every Monday on the NFIB California webpage. Two additional updates are published the first and third Thursday of each month for inclusion in the bi-monthly newsletters to the membership. Next California Main Street Minute is September 28.