Did You Know:
Illinois is broke. We haven’t had a budget in over two years. We’re ranked as one of the worst states for business.
Gov. Bruce Rauner has pushed for real reforms to eliminate wasteful spending and balance the budget, but legislative leaders would rather play politics than fix Illinois’ problems.
We believe enough is enough. We need to let legislators know if they won’t do their jobs, we’ll elect candidates who will.
Small Businesses can’t afford:
- A new sales tax on services such as landscapers, home repairs, security companies, and storage facilities.
- Runaway workers’ compensation costs. Illinois’ workers’ comp premium rate is the 8th highest in the country. We were ranked 20th in 2006.
- A higher minimum wage. According to the NFIB Research Center, raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2022 would reduce private sector employment in the state by 93,000 jobs over the next 10 years and reduce real output by %56 billion. View the Report
We need lawmakers who will:
- Stop spending money they don’t have. State government needs to learn a lesson from Illinois’ small businesses and live within its means
- Eliminate government waste. Before the legislature even thinks about raising taxes, it needs to make absolutely certain the state isn’t wasting a dime of taxpayer’s money.
- Put politics aside and work together to pass sensible solutions to Illinois’ mounting economic problems.
This year’s legislative session is almost over.
We’re running out of time to pass a budget and create an environment where businesses can grow and create jobs.
NFIB is the voice of small business in Springfield, but we need you to help our voice be heard. Tell your local legislators not to balance the budget on the back of small business.
Call the statehouse switchboard at 217-782-2000