NFIB is the nation’s most powerful small business advocate and has won key victories thanks to the support from you and hundreds of thousands of other small business owners. Below are a list of victories from our Legal Center and Federal Public Policy.
Legal Center Victories:
- NFIB made the Top 10 list of “Amicus All Stars” with the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013.
- SCOTUS Blog listed NFIB Small Business Legal Center as one of the top-ten most influential groups in terms of getting issues before the Supreme Court.
- NFIB Legal Center filed 20 briefs in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013, and 6 so far in 2014.
- NFIB Legal Center filed is on pace to file in sixty cases for the second year in a row.
- NFIB Legal Center has filed in 14 different states in the past year (July 2013 – July 2014) (CA, HI, LA, MO, CO, NY, OH, MS, IN, AZ, NJ, WA, TX, TN).
- Sued and defeated NLRB, striking down pro-union “Notice Poster Rule”
- Sued and defeated EPA, striking down burdensome greenhouse gas regulations that would have required costly permits for small businesses.
- Joined in the lawsuit challenging President Obama’s recess appointments; helped secure a unanimous decision holding the President exceeded his powers.
- U.S. Supreme Court sided with NFIB Legal Center’s position two-thirds of the time in its 2013-2014 term.
Won Court Challenges vs. Individual Healthcare Mandate
Major legal victory against the federal healthcare law NFIB’s Small Business Legal Center won in two separate federal court rooms.
The Supreme Court heard our case, NFIB v. Sebelius
Federal Public Policy Victories:
- Made the 2001 tax rates permanent for those making less than $450,000 (filing jointly).
- Maintained the 15% capital gains rate for those making less than $400,000 (individually filing) and $450,000 (filing jointly)
- Prevented a capital gains increase from 15% to 20% for most individuals.
- Stopped the Estate (Death) Tax rate from increasing to 55% while preventing the $5 million exemption from dropping to $1 million.
- Obtained a new simplified deduction for home offices that allows business owners the option of taking a standard $1,500 deduction for expenses related to a home office.
Prevented Congress from Increasing the Minimum Wage
- Stopped the U.S. Senate from increasing the federal minimum wage. S. 2223, needed 60 votes to pass and failed by a vote of 54 to 42. The proposal would have raised the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 by 2016 and permanently indexed it to inflation.
Reduced IRS Reporting Requirements
- Repealed the expanded 1099 reporting requirements from the healthcare law
- Stopped the IRS from forcing businesses to reconcile their gross receipts with the new Form 1099K
Repealed Harmful Provisions in Obamacare
- NFIB repealed small business deductible limitations included in Obamacare.
Helped Elect 36 NFIB Members to Congress
- NFIB’s SAFE Trust & political team helped send more small business owners to Congress than ever before
Put the Brakes on the Administration
- The Department of Labor has withdrawn a proposed rule limiting the work that children can do on farms.
- The NLRB has abandoned an effort to make all private employers post a sign encouraging unionization.
- The EPA backed off placing regulations on spilled milk similar to those of oil spills.
Repeal New Federal Healthcare Law
- NFIB was the only business organization to challenge the new healthcare law before the U.S. Supreme Court
- New health insurance tax (HIT) would increase average family premiums by $500 per year and cost up to 250,000 jobs
- The individual mandate provision would cost an individual an average of $5,046 per year
Healthcare Reform for Small Business
- Put small business on the same playing field as big business
- Improve healthcare access and affordability
- Small business tax credits and deductibility for the self employed
- Medical malpractice reform
- Allow pooling across state lines to increase buying power
Small Business Tax Relief
- Restore Section 179, small business expensing, to $500K.
- Give states more flexibility in their unemployment tax programs. Many are seeing increases in FUTA taxes from $21 to $63 per employee.
- Repeal the Estate tax.
Kill Burdensome IRS, EPA, DOT, DOL, NLRB & OSHA Regs
- There are 3,348 federal regulations in the pipeline, 291 of which directly impact small businesses.
- Fighting new proposals on Private Property Rights, Cap and Trade and Livestock Taxes.
- Fighting attempts to make it easier for workers to sue employers and the new business disclosure requirements.
- Fighting to stop increases to the federal and state minimum wage.
NFIB is also working to fight harmful regulations through Small Business for Sensible Regulations, a national effort focused on protecting small businesses and American jobs from the impacts of regulations recently proposed by the Obama administration.
Get Started with Your NFIB Membership:
Since you're on a mobile device, want to get your membership over the phone?Call NFIB at 844-278-7748
Monday – Thursday: 8:30am to 5:30pm ET
Friday: 8am to 4pm ET