Make sure you decide before the deadline
NFIB/Ohio wants to make sure you are aware of the looming deadline to enroll in the centralized collection for municipal net profit taxes. Under House Bill 49, the state operating budget, business filers have the option of using the Ohio Business Gateway to voluntarily enroll in a state-administered program to file one net-profit return as well as submit one payment. Taxpayers that do not voluntarily enroll in the program will continue to file with each individual municipality where they have net-profit liability.
To ensure your participation in this program, you must enroll by March 1, 2018, or wait an entire year to enroll in the program. You also must notify the individual municipalities of your election to file through the Ohio Business Gateway. Click here and follow the instructions to print a paper form or to enroll in this business-friendly program electronically. Below is information regarding filing due dates.
NFIB/Ohio was a strong proponent of this policy change. Ohio’s municipal income tax system is arguably the most convoluted in the nation. Permitting employers to file and pay their net-profit taxes in one centralized location will help those businesses working in multiple jurisdictions ease some of Ohio’s compliance burden. We strongly encourage you to consider evaluating and enrolling in this program.
Filing Due Dates
Estimated Payment Due Dates
- Payments of estimated combined tax liability for the current year are due as follows:
- 22.5% must be paid by the fifteenth day of the fourth month of their taxable year.*
- 45% must be paid by the fifteenth day of the sixth month of their taxable year.*
- 67.5% must be paid by the fifteenth day of the ninth month of their taxable year.*
- 90% must be paid by the fifteenth day of the twelfth month of their taxable year.*
Annual Filing Due Date
- Annual tax returns are due the 15thday of the fourth month following the end of the taxpayer’s taxable year*.
*If the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, the report or payment is due the next business day.
As always, thank you for your membership with NFIB. If you have any questions regarding this or any legislative issue, please contact NFIB/Ohio Legislative Director Chris Ferruso at [email protected].