It was a good night for small businesses in Ohio! As you know, President Trump carried Ohio by 8 points. All of Ohio’s Republican Congressional delegation was re-elected. Republicans in the Ohio House of Representatives and Ohio Senate will likely gain a small number of seats in each chamber. The biggest disappointment of the night was the loss of Judi French on the Ohio Supreme Court. However, Sharon Kennedy had a decisive 10-point victory to retain her seat on Ohio’s highest court.
Below is a recap of the key races:
Ohio Recap – All results can be found here on the Ohio Secretary of State’s page: https://liveresults.ohiosos.gov/
- An impressive 5.8 million Ohioans cast votes in this election, a record.
- All 16 Ohio members of Congress won re-election, so it remains 12 Republicans and 4 Democrats. NFIB Fed PAC went 12 for 12 in these endorsed races.
- There will be 24 NFIB dues-paying members serving in the next Ohio General Assembly.
- Sharon Kennedy retained her seat on the Ohio Supreme Court, but Judi French did not, while Kennedy won by roughly 10%, French lost by that same margin.
- The new court will have 4 Republicans and 3 Democrats. NFIB Ohio PAC endorsed both Kennedy and French in the election
- Ohio Senate – The NFIB Ohio PAC endorsed in 14 races, winning all 14 (with the NFIB-endorsed candidate Senator Kunze currently ahead by a narrow 41 vote margin, subject to a recount).
- All 7 NFIB members won their respective races, all were endorsed by the NFIB Ohio PAC
- With Senate Republicans picking up one seat in the Ohio Senate, the margin will be 25 Republicans to 8 Democrats.
- Ohio House – The NFIB Ohio PAC endorsed 50 candidates, winning 44, losing 6. There are 2 races that could potentially swing back to the win column with a recount.
- If all results hold the Republicans will hold 64 of 99 seats in The Ohio House of Representatives, picking up a net 3 more seats.
- 10 of the 13 NFIB members endorsed by The NFIB Ohio PAC were victorious.
We want to thank all our members for their help in electing pro-small business candidates!