NFIB members encouraged to keep up with the new employment rules, regulations, and requirements
Stay out of legal trouble.
Once again, NFIB is teaming up with Personnel Plus | Westaff to bring its members and other small-business owners five seminars across the state the latest information available on employment law.
Individuals with people management responsibilities will learn important tips and cautions when managing day to day. Teaching these seminars are Montana’s two leading experts in employment law and practices.
- Jim Nys has more than 30 years’ experience in personnel management and holds a master’s of art degree in public administration from the University of Montana. Nys is certified as a senior professional in human resources by the Human Resource Certification Institute, a certified staffing professional by the American Staffing Association, and a certified senior professional in human resources by the Society for Human Resource Management.
- Michelle Edmunds is certified as a senior professional in human resources by the Human Resource Certification Institute and a certified senior professional by the Society for Human Resource Management. Edmunds holds a bachelor’s of science degree in human resources and industrial relations from the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
What you will learn:
- Status of the Affordable Care Act and what may happen in the future
- Union time period change status and what to prepare for
- General state and federal legislative updates that affect your business
- Overtime exemption issues. What qualifies as time worked, overtime liability, wage payments and more
- What acts might be considered discriminatory, dealing with disability, religious accommodation, and the new rule on sexual orientation
- Employee handbooks: What you need and what to avoid, Montana-specific policy issue, understanding when employees must be granted time off
- What makes a discharge wrongful, making a discharge defensible, avoiding discriminatory discharge
- Employee privacy, background checks, reference checks, drug and alcohol tests, polygraph test, medical marijuana, using social media to screen employees.
Register here. The cost to attend is $149 per person, $129 for NFIB members, $109 for two more people from the same NFIB-member business. Refreshments are provided, lunch is on your own. All workshops begin at 8:15 a.m. and end at 4:30 p.m. The dates and locations are:
Comfort Suites Airport
Holiday Inn Express
Red Lion Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn
Fairmont Hot Springs Resort