Intellectual Property for Today’s Small Business
If you think intellectual property rights are only for technology companies or large organizations with expansive resources, think again. There are cost conscious, reasonable steps that can and should be taken by independent companies to add value to their business and to protect their creations, particularly in this era of online counterfeits and scams. This webinar will provide an introduction to protections available through copyright, design and utility patents, and trademark / trade dress registration, as well as simple enforcement aids such as registration of rights with U.S. customs.
We will also cover the basics of guarding against inadvertent infringement of the IP of others, and what to do should you get into a situation where you are facing accusations of infringement. Finally, we will discuss some basics documents you should have in place to ensure proper ownership of the intellectual property created by your employees within the scope of their employment, and steps you can take to confidentially retain that property.
You will learn:
- The different types of intellectual property (“IP”) and how they differ in scope, cost, and remedies
- When and how to go about acquiring registered rights in your IP
- Tips on inexpensive ways to help protect your IP
- Mitigating risks of IP challenges from competitors
- Tips on managing employee issues related to IP
To download the slides: log into your existing account (registered user of NFIB member), or register now for free