NFIB/Illinois Legislative Victories
- Mandatory Retirement Plans for Small Business: NFIB/Illinois led the coalition to beat back aggressive efforts to force small businesses to set up IRA accounts for all of their workers--even part-timers. This would have been a retirement system that would be administered by the State of Illinois, and we know how well they manage money!
- Death Tax Exemption: We were a driving force in raising the Death Tax Exemption from $2 million to $4 million. Our members have long protested the unfairness of this tax.
- Unemployment Insurance: NFIB helped negotiate a $400 million cut in unemployment insurance taxes for Illinois employers and stopped a $1.2 billion new federal UI tax.
- Streamlined Paperwork for Environmental Regulations: We worked with other business groups on the Registration of Smaller Sources (ROSS) program that decreases the cost & paperwork burden under the Clean Air Act.
- Partnership Tax: We Were part of a coalition that helped repeal a 50% tax hike on partnerships.
- Prevailing Wage: Gov. Pat Quinn signed NFIB-backed legislation protecting small-business owners from from fines and penalties when proper notice of prevailing wage requirements is not provided.
Updated July 23, 2013