FRANKFORT, Nov. 20, 2013–Tom Underwood, Kentucky state director of the National Federation of Independent Business, said today that shoppers can make a big difference in their local communities by supporting Small Business Saturday.
Small Business Saturday is the Saturday after Thanksgiving and Black Friday, the traditional start of the holiday shopping season. This year, Small Business Saturday falls on Nov. 30.
“If you want to make a difference this holiday season, shop local and shop small,” Underwood said. NFIB/Kentucky is the state’s leading small-business association.
With five fewer shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, many small-business owners say they’ll be doing more to get shoppers into stores during the critical holiday season, according to a recent nationwide survey by NFIB and American Express.
According to the survey:
• 67% of small-business owners will offer discounts on specific items or general discounts on the day
• 39% of small-business owners are planning to collaborate with other small businesses in a community event to promote Small Business Saturday
• 36% will offer coupons for future offers or discounts
• 33% rely on social media most to promote Small Business Saturday to their customers; 18% say they will rely primarily on paid advertising
• 32% are starting their holiday promotions earlier than last year
• 21% are planning to increase the number of employees working on Small Business Saturday.
“Small and independent business owners are among the most generous supporters of civic groups, local charities, youth sports, schools and virtually every other form of community activity,” Underwood said.
“Shopping small and shopping local–on Small Business Saturday and every other day of the year–is a great way for people to help their friends and neighbors and create jobs and opportunities in the places where they live,” he said.
NFIB is asking its members to tell us what they’re doing for Small Business Saturday. Click here for a list, sorted by state: http://www.nfib.com/small-business-saturday#shop.