The National Federation of Independent Business, the nation’s and South Carolina’s leading small business association, said today it has endorsed Nikki Haley for a second term as governor.
“Governor Haley has done an outstanding job as governor and proven to our members that she not only understands the challenges facing South Carolina’s small, family businesses but will do everything she can to help small businesses compete and grow and create jobs,” said Ben Homeyer, state director of NFIB/South Carolina.
During her first term, Governor Haley has:
- Cut taxes on small businesses.
- Fixed the state’s broken unemployment system from being nearly bankrupt to paying off debt years ahead of schedule.
- Worked to lower the unemployment rate to 5.3 percent, which is the lowest in over a decade.
- Established a small-business task force to reduce red tape that can ensnare small businesses.
- Stopped the irresponsible expansion of Medicaid.
- Produced an environment which as has seen small business grow by 5 percent in the past two years.
“Governor Haley has kept her promise to help South Carolina’s small businesses,” Homeyer said. “Her commitment and understanding as a former small family business owner to see that small business has every opportunity to thrive makes her clear choice in this year’s election for Governor.”
NFIB's political support is based on the candidate's position and record on small business issues. The endorsement comes from the NFIB/South Carolina SAFE (Save America's Free Enterprise) Trust, the political action committee for NFIB/South Carolina membership.
Today's endorsement puts the considerable grassroots support of the state's small businesses behind the governor’s campaign. Small business owners and their employees vote in high numbers and are known for recruiting friends, family members and acquaintances to vote.
NFIB will encourage its 4,000 members in South Carolina to help turn out the influential small business voting bloc on Election Day.