President and CEO
Donald A. “Dan” Danner was named president and CEO of the National Federation of Independent Business, the nation’s leading small business association, in February, 2009. Danner is only the sixth president in the history of the organization.
Before rising to the top spot, Danner was executive vice president, overseeing NFIB’s federal and state public policy and political activities as well as the organization’s three 501 (c) 3 operations: the Research Foundation, Small Business Legal Center and the Young Entrepreneur Foundation. He came to NFIB in 1993 as vice president of the NFIB Education Foundation (now known as the Young Entrepreneur Foundation) and was named vice president of federal public policy in 1995.
Previously, he was chief of staff to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce. Danner also worked in the White House Office of Public Liaison, where he was special assistant to the president and deputy director of the department. Before joining the White House staff, Danner was an executive with Armco Inc., a steel manufacturing company. He held leadership positions in sales and marketing, as well as state and federal lobbying on issues such as energy, environment, taxes and trade. He also served four years as vice president of federal relations at George Mason University.
A native of Middletown, Ohio, Danner holds an MBA degree from Xavier University and an electrical engineering degree from Purdue University
He and his wife Bekki have three children and live in Arlington, Va.
Columns from the President
- NFIB's Danner: 2016 Health Insurance Open Enrollment Is HereHealth insurance remains a huge concern for all small business owners. But you have NFIB on your side, helping you navigate through the 2016 open enrollment season.
- NFIB's Danner: Get Your Questions Ready for the 2016 Presidential CandidatesThe 2016 Presidential TeleForum is here! NFIB members, don't miss this exclusive opportunity to interview the presidential candidates in both parties for the most important job in the country.
- NFIB's Danner: Small Business Is the Heart of the American Story"There's not a group of Americans who work harder than small business owners," says NFIB President and CEO Dan Danner in his 2015 Labor Day message.
- NFIB's Danner: EPA Power Rule Could Turn Out the Lights on Small BusinessIt has been a busy summer for NFIB, due largely to the EPA, whose aggressive global warming agenda threatens the survival of many American small businesses.
- Danner: NFIB Wins Round 1 Against EPA, but there Is More AheadNFIB recently scored a major Supreme Court victory against the EPA. But we're just getting warmed up on fighting the agency's massive regulatory overreach.
- NFIB's Danner: Our Battle for Small Biz Rages On in the CourtsNFIB President and CEO Dan Danner tackles recent judiciary action and lays out the plan to get results for small business owners.
- NFIB's Danner: Small Business Fuels Our EconomyWe're making it a point during National Small Business Week to educate lawmakers and the general public on not only the importance of small business, but the obstacles in their way.
- NFIB's Danner: Small Business Is Finally on OffenseFor the previous six years, small business has been forced to defend against one threat after another. Now we're driving the agenda and making progress.
- NFIB's Dan Danner: Small Business Issues Below the HeadlinesIt's a busy time in Washington, but you can find comfort in knowing NFIB is on the front lines fighting on your behalf.
- NFIB's Dan Danner: A Bright Beginning for Congress in 2015Both the House and Senate have already begun to pass legislation that will boost the economy and fortify small business.