Donald A. “Dan” Danner was named president and CEO of the National Federation of Independent Business, the nation’s leading small business association, in February, 2009. Danner is only the sixth president in the history of the organization.
Before rising to the top spot, Danner was executive vice president, overseeing NFIB’s federal and state public policy and political activities as well as the organization’s three 501 (c) 3 operations: the Research Foundation, Small Business Legal Center and the Young Entrepreneur Foundation. He came to NFIB in 1993 as vice president of the NFIB Education Foundation (now known as the Young Entrepreneur Foundation) and was named vice president of federal public policy in 1995.
Previously, he was chief of staff to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce. Danner also worked in the White House Office of Public Liaison, where he was special assistant to the president and deputy director of the department. Before joining the White House staff, Danner was an executive with Armco Inc., a steel manufacturing company. He held leadership positions in sales and marketing, as well as state and federal lobbying on issues such as energy, environment, taxes and trade. He also served four years as vice president of federal relations at George Mason University.
A native of Middletown, Ohio, Danner holds an MBA degree from Xavier University and an electrical engineering degree from Purdue University
He and his wife Bekki have three children and live in Arlington, Va.
Columns from the President
- Brazen Labor Board Back with Pro-Union AgendaApril 15, 2014The administration and Big Labor are uniting to attack Main Street and undermine the rights of small-business owners.
- Send a Message about Political Power to the PresidentMarch 31, 2014President Obama is busy doing favors for his political friends, and he's underestimating the political clout and impactful leadership of America's small business community.
- Who Wins Under Obamacare? Political Cronies.March 18, 2014The ACA continues to deceive and hurt the small business community while the President and his administration are playing favorites with big industry.
- NFIB to Supremes: Stop EPA from Rewriting the LawMarch 05, 2014If a bureaucrat re-writes a law and no one is listening, does it make a sound? Fortunately, NFIB is listening.
- Gold, Silver, Bronze...Congress Can Do Better.February 19, 2014Winning an Olympic Games gold medal is one of the greatest moments in an athlete's career -- requiring dedication and total effort.
But on Capitol Hill, where legislators shape the course of our nation, some seem willing to settle for less than top honors.
- The Top 5 State of the Union DisappointmentsFebruary 04, 2014Last week's speech showed that President Obama's agenda remains, sadly, frozen in a fundamental misunderstanding of you and your business.
- The Top Four Things to Watch for in Healthcare This YearJanuary 16, 2014As 2014 unfolds, four of the leading Obamacare challenges to the survival of your business are on the near horizon. All afford opportunities for you to personally illustrate to your members of Congress the reform law's numerous pain points that could inflict serious damage on your business.
- Federal Health Law Could Thin Ranks of Tomorrow’s EntrepreneursJanuary 13, 2014The healthcare law discourages would-be entrepreneurs.
- Tell Congress: Don't Raise the Minimum Wage!!December 05, 2013Imagine Black Friday and Small Business Saturday shoppers arriving at your small business only to discover no great bargains, and worse--prices higher than ever before. Share key facts with senators inclined to support a wage increase.
- Put Your NFIB Membership to WorkNovember 19, 2013Ballots are currently available in 29 states. To get the most out of your membership, vote your NFIB State Ballot today!