Donald A. “Dan” Danner was named president and CEO of the National Federation of Independent Business, the nation’s leading small business association, in February, 2009. Danner is only the sixth president in the history of the organization.
Before rising to the top spot, Danner was executive vice president, overseeing NFIB’s federal and state public policy and political activities as well as the organization’s three 501 (c) 3 operations: the Research Foundation, Small Business Legal Center and the Young Entrepreneur Foundation. He came to NFIB in 1993 as vice president of the NFIB Education Foundation (now known as the Young Entrepreneur Foundation) and was named vice president of federal public policy in 1995.
Previously, he was chief of staff to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce. Danner also worked in the White House Office of Public Liaison, where he was special assistant to the president and deputy director of the department. Before joining the White House staff, Danner was an executive with Armco Inc., a steel manufacturing company. He held leadership positions in sales and marketing, as well as state and federal lobbying on issues such as energy, environment, taxes and trade. He also served four years as vice president of federal relations at George Mason University.
A native of Middletown, Ohio, Danner holds an MBA degree from Xavier University and an electrical engineering degree from Purdue University
He and his wife Bekki have three children and live in Arlington, Va.
Columns from the President
- Want a Fair and Honest Tax Code? It Can be DoneAugust 06, 2014Deciphering the tax code is already a difficult task without the added responsibility of running your own business. Simplifying the tax code and offering sensible improvements to small-business owners would help stimulate Main Street and give business owners like yourself the opportunity to do what you do best—run your business.
- Young Entrepreneurs Honored, Determined to Persevere Despite Government ChallengesJuly 16, 2014This year the Young Entrepreneur Foundation awards two high school students with scholarships for their entrepreneurial endeavors.
- NFIB Partners with The Hartford to Add More Value for MembersJune 03, 2014For the first time, NFIB truly has a national commercial insurance offering with the leader in the industry. A full range of commercial coverage, including workers' compensation, business auto and business owner's policies, is offered through the program. But what really sets The Hartford apart is its 200-year track record with small business.
- NFIB Makes Small Business Expensing a Priority for the HouseMay 27, 2014Nationwide small businesses face overwhelming economic challenges. This is why NFIB is working with legislators to pass small business expensing so you can successfully operate and reinvest in your business.
- Take a Victory Lap During National Small Business WeekMay 12, 2014America's small businesses are a crucial component to the strength and success of our communities and our nation. They serve as the backbone of the U.S. economy and the pulse of the American Dream. During National Small Business Week celebrate your accomplishments as a business owner and other local businesses in your community.
- Quench Your Thirst and Launch a New Generation of Small-Business OwnersApril 29, 2014Considering all of the obstacles small-business owners face in today's economy, this summer is a great opportunity to offer your support to a budding business and help stimulate the entrepreneurial spirit.
- Brazen Labor Board Back with Pro-Union AgendaApril 15, 2014The administration and Big Labor are uniting to attack Main Street and undermine the rights of small-business owners.
- Send a Message about Political Power to the PresidentMarch 31, 2014President Obama is busy doing favors for his political friends, and he's underestimating the political clout and impactful leadership of America's small business community.
- Who Wins Under Obamacare? Political Cronies.March 18, 2014The ACA continues to deceive and hurt the small business community while the President and his administration are playing favorites with big industry.
- NFIB to Supremes: Stop EPA from Rewriting the LawMarch 05, 2014If a bureaucrat re-writes a law and no one is listening, does it make a sound? Fortunately, NFIB is listening.